Thursday, April 18, 2013

Painting... is hard!



Location of a plein air study.


The result of the study. This painting failed miserably. My professor has coined a term MSB: Murky Shit Brown.  I tried to paint in the shade, and I felt like I was consistently second guessing myself. Must do more! 


To try and redeem my earlier attempt at painting, I decided to do a study of the undergraduate studio. I'm actually kind of happy with this one. It is obviously not perfect by any means but I think it's heading in the right direction. 

I did spend around five hours on this study, and there was consistent lighting, and good conversation. 


Painting! About an hour an half study. The light changed a lot on this painting from when I started, which explains the difference between the painting and what's seen in the photograph. I would still get moments with intense sunlight so I decided to keep that initial scheme. This may have undermined the quality of the final study.

Also on a side note, I was charged by a ground hog while working on this painting. I was unaware that I was around an entrance to his home. I love being around ducks, geese, and ground hogs while painting. It would be difficult to do anything more enjoyable. 


Any comments or critiques are more than welcome. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment